Reliance Jio 4G Plans – Everything You Need To Know
Reliance Jio services will open up to everyone from September 5. By the time Mukesh Ambani finished speaking at Reliance Industries’ AGM on Thursday, Bharti Airtel’s market cap plunged by nearly Rs 12,000 crore while Idea Cellular’s market value dipped by a Rs 3,000 crore.
Reliance Jio has officially announced its tariff plans with claims of free outgoing calls, unlimited night data, and data prices as low as Rs 50/GB. But here’s a closer look at the tariff plans to reveal the fine print.
Jio Preview Welcome Offer doesn’t have unlimited data
Starting September 5, users can get Jio SIM card with ‘Welcome Offer’ where they get unlimited calls, unlimited internet and access to Jio apps. But, here comes the catch – it is not virtually unlimited. During the preview offer till December 31, 2016, users will get 4GB of high-speed data per day, after which users will be getting speeds of 128 Kbps for unlimited data.
Jio is not really giving Rs 50/GB for Jio 4G Internet
The Chairman of Reliance Industries announced that Jio 4G plans will allow users to buy 1GB data for as low as Rs 50. But, in the tariff plans submitted to TRAI, Jio has revealed that the Rs 50/GB rate would only be applicable for JioNet Wi-Fi service after the user exhausts the data on the plan.
According to tariff plan details free by Reliance Jio, post exhaustion of bundled 4G LTE data, users are going to be charged at Rs 250/GB, with 10kb charging pulse. this can be still reasonable to what existing operators square measure charging (between 4p/10kb to 10p/10kb, that is Rs 4,000 to Rs 10,000 per GB), however not as per the claims of Rs 50/GB. To avoid those charges, users will select add-on top-up data packs – available for both prepaid and postpaid subscribers.
Free Unlimited SMS?
Chairman of Reliance Industries also announced that Reliance Jio users can make unlimited calls, and send as many SMS as they want. But the truth is completely different from that. Here are some Terms and Conditions –
Terms and conditions
- Voice is truly free – no charge towards voice or the data used to make 4G voice calls.
- “Unlimited at Night” pertains to data used between 2am – 5am.
- Wi-Fi data benefits in the plans pertain to Wi-Fi data availed in the Public Wi-Fi hotspots of RJIL.
- The subscribers can avail the above plans effective from 1st January 2017.
- The data used by the consumers for Jio applications, Video calls and other content available on the internet would be uniformly debited against plan data allocation.
- Unutilized free benefits will be forfeited at the end of validity.
- The prepaid packs with denominations Rs.19, Rs.129 and Rs.299 cannot be availed as a First recharge by new subscribers.
- 25% additional 4G WiFi data benefits will be provided to students on providing a valid identity card, as per process.
- Prepaid tariffs are inclusive of all applicable taxes.
- On Postpaid tariffs applicable taxes will be charged. The Postpaid subscribers opting for the Auto-debit option using credit/debit cards/online transfer to pay their monthly mobile phone bill and opting for e-bill will be accorded an additional 15% discount on the bill value.
- The above plans can only be availed by customers possessing an LTE compatible handset.
Unlimited Night 4G Data
Jio’s so-called night unlimited 4G data plan is only applicable between 2 am and 5 am.
Users can obtain Reliance Jio SIM by visiting Reliance Digital Xpress Store or a Reliance Digital Xpress mini Store. A valid photo ID along with a couple of passport-size photographs would be required at the counter. Users would then be required to choose the relevant plan and receive the receipts on their email IDs. The company would verify the applicant’s details via a phone call.