Oculus VR Announces Rift Ready PC Bundles At $1,499, Preorder Starts On Feb 16
On Tuesday, Oculus VR revealed the first batch of Oculus Ready computers from ASUS, Dell, and Alienware, complete with discounts if you buy them bundled with the Rift. Pre-sales for Oculus Ready computers will start on February 16 with starting price tag of $1499 (Rs.1,01,800).
The PC units come from ASUS, Dell, and Alienware, and they have all been tried and tested with the Oculus Rift. The bundles start out at $1,499 for a limited time only, and the price goes all the way up to more than $3,000 (Rs.2,03,600).
Each Rift Ready PC Bundles comprises of an Oculus-Certified PC and the entire Oculus Rift consumer package – it will come with an Oculus Rift headset, sensor, remote control, a Xbox One controller and two games – “EVE: Valkyrie Founder’s Pack” and “Lucky’s Tale”.
The virtual reality headset alone costs US $599 and, if a consumer has already bought one, he or she will be entitled to a discount on the initial bundles. Deliveries will begin in April and, for those that can’t wait, Oculus VR has also provided a downloadable tool that will run on an existing PC to determine if it can cope with the helmet’s demands.
Even if you’re not interested in spending an extra $599 for a Rift, these very same PCs will be available at the Microsoft Store, BestBuy, Amazon, and you can also pre-order them right now from the official ASUS, Alienware, and Dell stores.
The Oculus-ready systems include the ASUS G11CD and ROG G20CB desktops, the Alienware 51 and X51, and the Dell XPS 8900 Special Edition. Powered by the Intel Core i5-6400 processor, it comes with 8 GB of DDR4 RAM, and Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 graphic card with a 1 TB storage capacity hard drive.
- Asus G11CD: Intel Core i5-6400, Nvidia GeForce GTX 970, 8GB of DDR4 RAM, 1TB hard drive—$1049, or $949 bundled with the Rift headset
- Asus ROG G20CB (model 1): Intel Core i5-6400, GTX 970, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD—$1449, or $1349 bundled with the Rift headset
- Asus ROG G20CB (model 2): Intel Core i7-6700, GTX 980, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB hard drive—$1699, or $1599 bundled with the Rift headset
- Alienware Area 51: Intel Core i7-5820K, GTX 980, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, 128GB SSD, 2TB hard drive—$2549
- Alienware X51 R3 (model 1): Intel Core i5-6400, GeForce GTX 970, 8GB of DDR4 RAM, 1TB hard drive—$1199, or $999 bundled with the Rift headset
- Alienware X51 R3 (model 2): Intel Core i5-6400, GeForce GTX 980, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD—$1499
- Dell XPS 8900 SE: Intel Core i5-6400, GTX 970, 8GB of DDR4 RAM, 1TB hard drive—$1199, or $999 bundled with the Rift headset
If you want to build your own computer for the Rift or are simply planning an upgrade, Oculus VR recommends the following, “The recommended PC specification is an NVIDIA GTX 970 or AMD 290, Intel i5-4590, and 8GB RAM. This configuration will be held for the lifetime of the Rift and should drop in price over time.”