Snapdeal Cirrus – Snapdeal launches Cirrus, a private cloud platform
Online marketplace Snapdeal on Thursday announced the launch of its own private cloud platform, Snapdeal Cirrus, to help the company offer a more frictionless, reliable experience to customers and help save costs. This move will enable Snapdeal to ensure that business growth is augmented with platform speed, security, and stability, it said.
The private cloud solution has been built and operationalised in under a year and is timed to handle long-term growth in traffic, Snapdeal said in a statement.
“Snapdeal was born in the cloud, but public clouds stopped being cost efficient after a scale, which became the case for Snapdeal sometime last year. In a short span of 10 months, we have succeeded in building an extremely resilient, scalable and secure solution,” Rajiv Mangla, Chief Technology Officer, Snapdeal said.
The cloud is built entirely on open source with OpenStack at the centre, making it among the largest OpenStack deployments of a hybrid cloud in the world.
“At more than 100,000 cores and 16 petabytes of storage, Snapdeal Cirrus is one of the largest OpenStack deployments globally. Retail is one of the fastest growing vertical markets for OpenStack, and Snapdeal is among a growing group of e-commerce players outside of North America who are embracing OpenStack and the open-source approach in delivering services and innovation to their customers,” said Jonathan Bryce, Executive Director of the OpenStack Foundation.
- Is a true hybrid cloud, which expands seamlessly to public and abstracts the underlying infrastructure away from the applications, so they can be dynamically assigned to run in different parts of the cloud
- Is a fully automated software-defined data centre and cloud platform, where infrastructure is built and managed as code
FAST FACTS ABOUT SNAPDEAL
- Has an assortment of 50 million-plus products across 800-plus diverse categories from over 125,000 regional, national, and international brands and retailers
- With millions of users and more than 300,000 sellers
- Snapdeal delivers across 6,000-plus cities