Google has announced two Nexus phones, the 5X and the 6P.
Google announced two new Nexus smartphones during its event on Tuesday in San Francisco. The Nexus phones, 5X and 6P are available for pre-order in the Google Store in several countries starting Tuesday, the company said, with the 5X priced at $379, and the 6P priced at $499.
The Nexus 6P made by Huawei is the larger device with a 5.7-inch display, a 12.3-megapixel rear camera, and 5-megapixel front-facing camera. The company says the camera in the 6P has larger pixels, which means its optimized for indoor photography. It’s also the only model with a fully metal body. It features a 64-bit processor, with a USB Type C port, which is reversible and charges quicker than the previous standard.
Nexus 6P also has a fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone, which will wake up the phone and work with Android Pay for mobile payments. Obviously it also runs Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
Nexus 6P Specs
- OS: Android Marshmallow 6.0
- CPU: 2 GHz octa-core Snapdragon 810 v.2.1
- Display: 5.7-inch WQHD AMOLED
- PPI: 515
- Memory: 3GB
- Storage: 32GB / 64GB / 128GB
- Cameras: 8MP front / 12MP rear
- Battery: 3450mAh
- Weight: 178 grams
- Footprint: 6.27” x 3.06”
- Thickness: 7.3mm
- NFC: Yes
- Fingerprint Reader: Yes
- Notable Extras: Project Fi, Fast Android Updates, USB-Type C
- Price: $500 /$550 / $650
- Availability: Pre-order today at Google store, available on all major US carriers
- Dual front-facing speakers.
The Nexus 5X made by LG is the smaller of the two devices with a 5.2-inch display. It has a 12-megapixel rear-facing camera and a 5-megapixel camera on the front.
The Nexus 5X, is an update to the “iconic” Nexus 5 Google said – offering high performance but in a lower cost. It features a 64-bit processor, with a 1.55 micron camera, which has a laser-assisted autofocus, dual flash and can record in 4K, a Nexus Imprint fingerprint sensor and USB Type-C charging port. The Nexus 5P will start with a 32GB model at $499, 64GB model will be $549, and the 128GB model for $649.
Nexus 5X Specs
- OS: Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- CPU: 64-bit 1.8 GHz hexa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 processor and Adreno 418 GPU
- Display: 5.2-inch Full HD LCD (1920 x 1080 resolution ) with Gorilla Glass 3 protection
- PPI: 424
- Memory: 2GB
- Storage: 32GB / 64GB / 128GB.
- Cameras: 5MP front / 12MP rear .
- Battery: 2,700 mAh.
- Weight: 136 grams.
- NFC: Yes.
- Fingerprint Reader: Yes.
- Notable Extras: Project Fi, Fast Android Updates, USB-Type C.
- Price: 16GB Nexus 5X at $379, 32GB model at $499, 64GB model will be $549, and the 128GB model for $649.
- Availability: Pre-order today at Google store, available on all major US carriers.
- Size: 147.0 x 72.6 x 7.9 mm.
There’s also a new Android Sensor Hub in both phones. It tracks movement, which means it can automatically turn on the display when you pick up the phone.
Google is throwing in a 90-day free subscription to Google Play Music as well. All Nexus preorders in the US come with $50 in Google Play credit, too. Both phones will work on Google Project Fi network.
The Nexus 5X and the Nexus 6P — will be compatible with Project Fi, the company’s own mobile network. Project Fi is a program to deliver a fast, easy wireless experience in close partnership with leading carriers, hardware makers, and our users.
Project Fi works by combining Wi-Fi calling with a cellular network connection (Fi is compatible with and can alternate between Sprint and T-Mobile). The phone always picks the fastest available network from one of three sources all while simplifying the payment structure of your cell phone bill. For $20 per month, users get the same things they’ve come to expect from any carrier, like talk, text, Wi-Fi tethering, and international coverage, along with a flat cost of $10 per GB per month for cellular data (both in the U.S. and abroad). Users also get credited for any unused data during each month.